This keyboard is like having two half keyboards in one and uses high quality rubber-dome membrane keyswitches to provide a quiet tactile feel when keying. Accommodating both left and right handed users with full-size keys, both halves of the keyboard can act as a complete keyboard, accommodating all users desiring single handed input. Can also be used as a regular conventional two handed keyboard. It functions on both PCs and Macs.
- Accessibility: Ideal for users with hand/arm injuries, one-handedness, hemiplegia, carpal tunnel syndrome, and blindness, especially when used in conjunction with a Braille display.
- Easy to use: The Half-QWERTY typing technique is very similar to the standard two-handed touch-typing technique. You place your hand where it would normally be if you were touch-typing, which takes care of one half of the keyboard. To type the letters of the other half, hold down the space bar with your thumb and do the same finger movement that you would normally do with the other hand. Tapping the space bar still types a space. The relative finger movements used for one-handed typing are the same as those used for two-handed typing.
- Easy to learn: If you have never learned to type before, learning Half-QWERTY will take roughly the time it would take to learn standard two-handed touch-typing. However, if you are a touch-typist, you can learn Half-QWERTY in a matter of minutes with little or no retraining.
- Flexibility: The Half-QWERTY 508 Keyboard allows one-handed typing using either hand, or both, just like a standard keyboard. The one-handed typing capability can be switched on or off by the user by using the "1/2" key, a dedicated key for turning one-handed typing on and off. Press once for one-handed typing; press twice for two-handed typing. This feature allows others to be able to use your computer.
- Sticky Keys: This is a feature that makes typing modifier-key sequences (e.g. capital letters) easier for one-handed typists in that you no longer have to type the modifier (e.g. Shift, Ctrl, Alt) and the key being modified simultaneously; you may type them in succession. Depressing and releasing a modifier key once makes it active for the next key typed. Pressing it twice locks it until it is unlocked by pressing the modifier again.
- Potential speed: With practice, Half-QWERTY typists can expect to reach speeds of between 61% and 91% of those achievable by two-handed typists. Typing speeds as high as 64 words per minute have been recorded.
- Hydra cable: With its unique Hydra Cable, the Half-QWERTY 508 Keyboard works with both PCs and Macs. The Hydra Cable has 4 connectors (PS/2, USB, ADB and an ADB pass-through for connecting additional ADB devices. All 4 connectors are directly attached to the cable so you never have to worry about lost adpators.
- 2-Port USB Hub: For quickly attaching USB peripherals, nothing beats the convenience of an in-keyboard USB hub. No more reaching through the tangle of wires behind your computer to plug in your mouse, digital camera, MP3 player, keychain hard drive or other digital device.
- Easy to read key legends: The surface of each key is clearly labelled with all of the characters and functions of both regular and one-handed typing modes for easy reference.
- International layout support: Non-US keyboards are a little different. They have an extra key in the lower left corner (right next to the Shift key). While the Half-QWERTY 508 Keyboard does not have this extra key, it will let you perform the function of this key by typing double-Shift-Z. The keyboard can also remap to whatever layout is standard in your country by simply choosing the desired layout from the appropriate control panel on your computer.
- Durability: The Half-QWERTY 508 Keyboard is built around a rugged metal keyframe that is designed to last.
- No special drivers required: The keyboard is plug compatible with a standard keyboard. Just plug it in and you are ready to type. For the Mac, an Enabler software program is included which allows the keyboard to correctly map the Option and Command keys for the Mac. With the Enabler active, the Ctrl/Command key will act as a Command key. Without the Enabler, Ctrl/Command will act as a Control key.
- Width: 18" (45.7 cm)
- Depth (front to back): 6.5" (16.5 cm)
- Height: 0.75" (1.9 cm)
- Weight: 3 lbs (1.36 kg)
- Keyswitch type: Mechanical (Alps Low Audible Tactile)
- Number of keys: 104
- Keyboard layout:
- Standard QWERTY Keyboard Layout
- The "1/2" key is a dedicated key for turning one-handed typing on and off.
- Easy-to-read dual legend key-top markings.
- Included in the box:
- Hydra Cable with 4 Connectors
- Keyboard Enabler Software for Mac OS 9 and OS X
- User's Guide
- Compatibility: PC: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, ME, XP
- Mac: Mac OS 9 and OS X
- Interface: PS/2, USB, ADB (Apple Desktop Bus)
- Warranty: 1 year limited warranty.