The HIMS Deaf-Blind Communicator App is available from the Apple App Store free of charge. Just search for "HIMS Chat". HIMS Chat will communicate with all HIMS Braille devices such as the Braille Sense U2, Braille Sense Mini and Braille EDGE 40.
What is HIMS Chat?
HIMS Chat is an application designed to facilitate face-to-face communication between a Deaf-Blind person and a sighted person via Bluetooth connectivity between an iPhone and a HIMS Braille Sense notetaker or Braille EDGE 40.
What can I do with HIMS Chat?
- Facilitates face-to-face communication between a Deaf-Blind and a sighted person.
- Includes built-in and user-created macros for easy entry of common phrases using just a few keystrokes.
- Save conversations and read them at a later date.
- Receive vibration alerts from the Braille Sense U2 when a sighted person sends a message on the iPhone.
How does HIMS Chat work?
- You can download HIMS Chat for free from the Apple App Store into your iPhone or iPod.
- You need to connect a HIMS Braille Sense notetaker or Braille EDGE 40 to your iPhone or iPod using a Bluetooth connection.
- When the Braille Sense is connected via VoiceOver, please execute the HIMS Chat program and choose New Chat.
- A greeting appears introducing the program to the sighted person and instructs him/her to double tap the OK button to begin the new chat.
- The Deaf-Blind user can then start typing, and when he sends the message, it is the sighted person’s turn. The conversation can continue back and forth as long as you wish.
- If you send a message, and wish to write more before the other party writes back, you can tap the Continue button to write another message.
- You may save conversations for later reading, or use built-in or user-created macros to quickly enter a number of saved phrases.